jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,364
Like?
Re: No one ever answers the questions!
In reply to Great Bustard, Jan 3, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

jrtrent wrote:

Joe Pineapples wrote:

Yes, the exposure is the same in both cases.

This is where the semantics people have spoken about in this and the other thread come into play. Great Bustard has said that the two sets of settings do not represent the same exposure, only the same output brightness.

The exact opposite: f/2.8 1/100 ISO 200 and f/2.8 1/100 ISO 800 have the same exposure for a given scene (the same density of light falls on the sensor for each), but the ISO 800 photo is processed to be 4x (2 stops) brighter.

Sorry, I didn't notice that you had changed the question from the one in the original post.  I was referencing the answer you gave to CharlesB58, "In the example I gave, f/2.8 1/100 ISO 200 and f/5.6 1/100 ISO 800 have the same output brightness, but not the same exposure." http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50576865

Again, sorry for the confusion.

The exposure triangle is scene luminance, t-stop (usually closely approximated by the f-ratio), and the shutter speed.

If you do a websearch for "exposure triangle," or find that expression in the index of a library book, you will find that most consider the exposure triangle to consist of aperture, ISO, and shutter speed.  I'm not saying you can't have your own definition if you want to, but it's another factor that adds to the confusion.

To me, f/2.8 1/100 ISO 200 and f/5.6 1/100 ISO 800 represent the same exposure because both represent an exposure indicated for the same conditions.

You mean they meter the same on the same camera.

They should, but I didn't reference a meter reading, just the exposure charts at Fred Parker Photography.

We care about exposure mostly because we don't want things too dark or too bright...

Except you can make things as dark or bright as you want in post.

Except I don't want to change the brightness in post.

Let me repeat the question for you. I didn't ask about f/2.8 1/100 ISO 200 vs f/5.6 1/100 ISO 800, but instead:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50586475

Two competent photographers are photographing the same scene from the same position (well, as close as they can) with the same camera and lens (let's say it's a prime).

One photographer chooses f/2.8 1/100 ISO 200, the other chooses f/2.8 1/100 ISO 800. Are the exposures the same?

No.

Next, can you give a possible reason why one photographer would choose ISO 200 and the other choose ISO 800 (remember, we are assuming both are competent photographers), and what role exposure plays, if any at all?

For some reason, one photographer wants his picture to come out darker than the other photographer does.

Lastly, can you give us your opinion as to whether this has anything to do with helping someone make their photos "better"?

Unless the two are collaborating on a book or workshop presentation, I don't see how their personal exposure decisions will help anyone else with making their photos better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow