Gray Market Lens Repair, Serial Numbers, etc.

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,766
Like?
Incorrect ... Final Clarification ...
In reply to sunshine eternal mind, Jan 3, 2013

sunshine eternal mind wrote:

It is confirmed after looking through endless ebay pictures, The ones selling from HK JP don't have the US prefix. THe ones selling as USA market have the US prefix.

Incorrect, sir. Not all Nikkor models have the US prefix to the serial number. That is a fact that was confirmed to me on the phone by Nikon USA and by an authorized Nikon service center that is a stand alone company.

The one thing that convinces me that they can be fixed here in the US is that adorama BH sale imports and include 1yr by them once that year expires then what?

As I've reported here in my recent replies which you don't want to believe (and that's OK with me - just don't kill the messenger, Caesar), all I can tell you is what both Nikon service and an authorized service center told me. NIkon USA will not touch a gray market lens bought in the US (warranty or non warranty.) So, after your one year warranty, you have a risk of your gray market lens becoming a paperweight. If you need service and your Nikon authorized repair company has to order parts from Nikon, Nikon USA will check to see if the lens is gray market. If it is, they will not supply the repair company with parts. Nikon changed their policy a few months ago in that they control the distribution of all parts - to individuals and to repair centers.

A photographer who lives in the city I live told me that I can take it in to the authorized nikon retail store and they will ship it out and fix it.

OK? Maybe? Where would they send it (obviously at your cost)? But I would not bet the ranch on that. By then you've spent a lot more for the lens and subsequent service than had you bought a US marketed lens in the first place.

Folks, in summary and to end this discussion (at least from my perspective) I want to state clearly I'm not pretending to be the Nikon USA spokesperson here. As I started this whole thread with many questions, I've learned a lot and I'm just reporting to you, my fellow forum members, what I've learned. I've said enough about all of this. To those of you who want to believe something else, that's your decision. Over and out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow