Best selling mirrorless cameras in Japan for 2012

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,100
Like?
Re: no inflated prediction
In reply to MichaelKJ, Jan 3, 2013

MichaelKJ wrote:

Although sales of the 1-series may have been strong, the heavy recent discounting suggests Nikon overestimated sales and that the 1s may not be profitable at this point.

Could definitely be true. Their comments about strong sales are now about 9 months old, and sales rates can easily go in the dumper in that amount of time. That said, much of the discounting of cameras that we've seen in the past few months in the U.S. is purely a function of the yen losing 10% of its value against the dollar since August. That means cameras can be sold at retail in the U.S. for about 12-15% lower prices and still retain the same profit margins.

I'm not sure about that. Nikon advertises the 1-series here and the DPR just posted V2 samples. In commenting on this camera they noted that The V2 is a significantly different camera from its predecessor, offering much more enthusiast-friendly ergonomics and a new 14MP sensor.

Good point. I should have qualified my statement to the first two 1-series models. It looks like Nikon is expanding the breadth of the 1-series line -- i.e. trying to appeal to a wider chunk of the consumer spectrum. I'm guessing we'll also see a smaller, simpler model that tries to expand the spectrum in the other direction.

But still, I'd be very surprised if Nikon believes the 1-series can cover the upper end of the potential mirrorless camera market. As I said, I'm guessing they have additional plans.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow