Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Eamon Hickey
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,169
Like?
wasn't implying anything about Thom
In reply to MichaelKJ, Jan 3, 2013

MichaelKJ wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Thom always implies that he has access to sales numbers that are not available to the general public, and this is why he never states specifics and never gives too much detail. For example, he mentioned "wait until Dec. 15th to buy a D600" weeks before it happened, and he was exactly right. The price dropped about $600 on the same day he mentioned (and I saved a ton of money )

My guess is he really does have a lot more access than we do and so we are left to "read between the lines". If he "implies" something, there is a reason and it may be he is legally not allowed to give the specifics.

I think you are correct. My impression from what Thom has written is that Nikon has paid him for his consulting services. There is a reason why he is a respected and successful professional.

I wasn't implying that Thom isn't respected and professional, and I think he does a pretty good job, overall, of analyzing the market information that's available, which I think is a real service to photo consumers who read him. I guess I should say that I don't need to be filled in on his qualifications -- I first "met" him in 1999 when I edited an article that he wrote for a digital photography magazine where I worked, and he and I had many discussions via these forums over the years. He also has pretty good contacts with some U.S. retail camera dealers and they seem to often pass on to him information that they have (which is quite limited, but can include things like short-term advance notice of upcoming rebates in the U.S. etc.) They also, unfortunately, pass on to him many of their prejudices and myths about Nikon and other camera companies.

But I don't think Thom says that he has any inside relationship with Nikon or any other camera company -- I can't speak for him, but I think he prefers it that way, since it gives him freedom to voice his unvarnished opinions without worrying about having his access cut off. He did do one presentation for Nikon, I believe, a few years ago.

In any case, I can tell you with absolute certainty -- and I base this on my 8 years working for Nikon and my 12 years covering the camera industry for many well-known publications during which I've signed hundreds of non-disclosure agreements and participated in scores of "secret" briefings -- that no camera company divulges real information about sales numbers, or sales projections, or its own internal marketing data, other than the very high-level figures that are published in financial reports and by CIPA. At least not in English to non-Japanese journalists. What exactly is revealed to Japanese journalists and, more importantly, to Japanese equities analysts is a question I'm not as sure about. Some interesting information gets reported in the Japanese business press occasionally, such as estimated profit margins by type of camera and proportions of pro vs. consumer unit sales etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow