D600: A gazillion EV of dynamic range isn't worth squat if your camera won't focus or meter properly Locked

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,479Gear list
shutter speeds.
In reply to digitalman4242, Jan 3, 2013

digitalman4242 wrote:

The metering isn't too bad on this camera. I find that indoors I like to use manual mode and adjust everything myself because sometimes it likes to use a slow shutter speed if you don't have the iso cranked up. But every camera iv'e ever used does this. So it's not a problem with the camera. The only other times I have issues with the auto metering is if the BG is very bright or very dark. And again every camera struggles with this if you use matrix metering. You just have to know in certian situations what the camera will do and if you don't like it use manual.

I know what you mean, I find different cameras go different ways, some for example, will stick with the "1/focal length" rule, even though they have image stabilization and can get away with much lower speeds.  Others, will drop to 1/15 which often doesn't work for live subjects.  Having the ability to set minimum shutter speed as part of auto ISO, is a nice feature...though if it's buried to deep it is often easier to just switch to full manual mode.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
DougNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow