D600: A gazillion EV of dynamic range isn't worth squat if your camera won't focus or meter properly Locked

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,970Gear list
Re: D600
In reply to frank-in-toronto, Jan 3, 2013

frank-in-toronto wrote:

since I think the AF Assist light only turns on in AF-S Mode and if the center focus point is at work, it may be that the assist light did not turn on because the camera was focusing on one of the outer focus points.

If I remember correctly, my camera had either AF-C or AF-A set out of the box. So, even if AF-A, and not AF-C was selected, and there was some movement when framing the shot, the camera would have auto-selected AF-C and therefore not enabled the assist light.

a quick test and that appears to be true. personally, i turn off af assist and even tape over the lamp on all my dslrs. if you've ever been on the receiving end of an af-assist beam, it's like a searchlight at night. really noob.

Really good information.  Thanks guys.  I'll delve more deeply into the AF modes.  I'm guessing in full auto mode, however, you're stuck with what you AF-A.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
DougNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow