Re: Lightroom - Pic quality changes when exported, for the better
In reply to gwlaw99, Jan 3, 2013

gwlaw99 wrote:

Brian wrote:

The picture was RAW and exported JPEG.

-- hide signature --

Brian Miller
Nikon D5100 w/18-105 lens and Canon S100
(Previous cameras: Nikon D3100 w/kit lens and 55-200), Nikon D40 w/kit lens and Canon S30)

You can't save an unedited raw file as a jpeg and expect a good image. You are better off shooting a jpeg. The S100 applies sharpening and other corrections to a jpeg in the camera which is why it looked sharper. You need to at least correct white ballance, fix exposure, and add sharpening (all digital images need sharpening--google "capture sharpening"). In Lightroom adding a touch of vibrance and clarity can help depending on the image. If you are going to shoot in raw and develop in Lightroom, I recommend getting a basic Lightroom book for digital photographers such as one by Scotty Kelby or Martin Evenring.

I needed to take my own advice and read your reply again.  While I don't fully understand the results of my original question, outside of what the first response suggests, what I gather from your comments is that the Canon does some "post" picture work automatically where the Nikon gives it ​bare​ (RAW) and leaves it to the shooter to do that work themselves?  If so, this is a bit of a revelation to me, sadly.  Sadly because I am just now coming to light of this. I simply expected better pictures period from the D5100 (D3100) over the S95.  (Although the S95 is an amazing camera.)

I took a couple (jpeg) pictures from my previous D3100, where we also used my wife's S95 as well for the same pictures and again preferred the S95, and I imported the D3100 shots into Lightroom, added some sharpening and what an improvement!  I now prefer the D3100 shots over the S95.

It would seem to me that Nikon does little to nothing with jpeg shots either, in light of my results above and the fact my first shots with the D5100 I had it set to RAW + JPEG and they look(ed) the same to me; sadly I deleted all the jpeg copies so as not to have dupes, of course I can shoot more to compare.

-- hide signature --

Brian Miller
Nikon D5100 w/18-105 lens and Canon S100
(Previous cameras: Nikon D3100 w/kit lens and 55-200), Nikon D40 w/kit lens and Canon S30)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow