Why does D800 need sharp primes but D7000 works great with kit lens?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,958
Like?
Let me tell you a little story...
In reply to Epic Light, Jan 3, 2013

Epic Light wrote:

This is not true. Just because you accept images from your collection of older and cheaper lenses does not make them optimum, Without question, A+ glass on this camera to do the sensor justice, otherwise what is the point of the camera? Again, without question the d800 records far far more aberrations and imperfections from lenses than say a d700.

Rent a 85/1.4g and tell me it does not simply destroy your 85/1.8d in an eye popping fashion on the d800. But of course that lens is not perfect either, and CA that was 2.5 pixels wide on the d700 are now 8 pixels wide on the d800. When sensitivity goes up, all performance factors are recorded accordingly. The d800 represents the breaking point for most lenses.

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

As a matter of fact, this is all the exact same concern trolling we were treated to for months on end when the D7000 first came out. Pro glass necessary, massive tripod, Teutonic "shot discipline," etc., etc. Nonsense. The D800e does not need pro glass whatsoever to produce Google Earth results with humble lenses stopped down a bit.

Pro glass is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but every lens Nikon makes is also terrific on this camera.

I had to laugh when I seen your comment about a 2.5 pixel thing becoming an 8 (slight inaccuracy but I'll let that pass) pixel thing. Oh heaven's above how will we survive! Seriously, on Chromatic Abberation and spectrochromatism...I have been enjoying these bad boys for years. We are friends, all 3 of us. I make the shots, and they show up when I am at 135mm and F/2...it's the strangest thing!

I have printed huge shots with these sorts of phenomenon in them from many different high and low resolution sensors and people have asked me how I got the cool purple / green glow, and how could they do that in their pictures? It seems photographers think a little too much about this stuff. Whilst I would not put a 24-120 3.5-5.6 lens on the D800, I would be more than happy with a decent old AF-D lens like the 85mm 1.8D, what you have said between the differences is complete hyperbole. I do not own this lens though, I own the 85mm 1.4D. I suppose you are gonna tell me that it's a steaming pile of cow dung now the G version is out? I'm sorry, I won't be selling it!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow