D600: A gazillion EV of dynamic range isn't worth squat if your camera won't focus or meter properly Locked

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,165Gear list
Re:
In reply to Manny82, Jan 3, 2013

Manny82 wrote:

Judging from the pic, looks like natural light was low and your camera focussed on the background. In doing so, the flash TTL system will use the distance data from the focus system to calculate flash output and therefore increase the output of the flash to expose for what it has focussed for.

Obviously anything right in front of the camera will get blown out by the flash. It can't expose for something 1 meter away and then something 5 meters away.

Looks like it's working fine to me.

Yes, that is obviously what happened.  But, how is that "working fine?"  It didn't focus.  IMHO, not focussing is not working.  It is especially disconcerting because the other two cameras I used, an OMD EM5 and an LX7, did not have focus issues in the same scenarios.  Which was the point of my post.  And this wasn't just one incident.  I chose to post this one example because the face is unrecognizable and because the shot is not recoverable (as opposed to some of the mis-metered shots.)

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
DougNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow