D600: A gazillion EV of dynamic range isn't worth squat if your camera won't focus or meter properly Locked

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,283Gear list
Re: lollll
In reply to frank-in-toronto, Jan 3, 2013

frank-in-toronto wrote:

since there's no exif, i need to ask..what af mode was the camera in? looks like it got good focus on something in the background. and, just for interest, what was the camera to subject distance? the child doesn't look too close, but a featureless face and an incorrect-for-the-situation af mode would produce this effect.

This was definitely the most frustrating shot as I fumbled with the camera trying to get something to work while the 2 year old posed with the hat...until he finally said enough is enough and ran off.  It was in whatever is the default AF mode in aperture priority mode, and green mode, and green LV mode.  The camera is set to only go off in focus so there was a lot of non-shots on the way to this really bad one.  It is the 24-85 kit lens at 42mm.  I recall having it at a longer focal length but it refused to grab focus so I had zoomed out thinking maybe I was too close at that focal length (turned out not to be the case.)  The lighting in the room was really bad and what little overhead lighting there was, was further compromised by the shading of the hat on the boys face. I switched to an OMD EM5 and after much cajoling, got the boy to pose again, in the same spot, with zero issues (perfect focus and exposure...no exposure hunting.)

Matrix metering.

Kit lens, F4.2 (wide open)

42mm focal length.

Auto ISO (800 chosen)

1/60 exposure

In EXIF, it says sensing method, "One-chip color area" whatever that means.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
DougNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow