Three Quick Questions vs The Enjoyment of Photography

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,305
Like?
Re: No one ever answers the questions!
In reply to Joe Pineapples, Jan 3, 2013

Joe Pineapples wrote:

Yes, the exposure is the same in both cases.

This is where the semantics people have spoken about in this and the other thread come into play.  Great Bustard has said that the two sets of settings do not represent the same exposure, only the same output brightness.  For anyone using the concept of the "exposure triangle" (shutter speed, f-stop, and sensitivity setting), "exposure" and "output brightness" are essentially synonymous terms.  Making them something different is confusing for a lot of people like me who simply shoot JPEG and enjoy their photos as they come out of the camera.  The idea of adjusting the brightness of the image later is simply not something that enters my head unless it's to try to salvage a poor exposure.

To me, f/2.8 1/100 ISO 200 and f/5.6 1/100 ISO 800 represent the same exposure because both represent an exposure indicated for the same conditions.  Using the charts on Fred Parker's The Ultimate Exposure Computer webpage, both land on what he calls EV 9:   Landscapes, city skylines 10 minutes after sunset. Neon lights, spotlighted subjects.  Whether one is more "correct" than another would depend on the particular conditions of the shot and the intent of the one taking the picture.  We care about exposure mostly because we don't want things too dark or too bright, though other considerations such as depth of field, camera shake, motion blur, lens aberrations at particular f-stops, and so on might cause a person to choose different combinations of settings within the exposure triangle for different circumstances.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow