Canon 50D Pixel Units and Noise

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Don Daugherty
Contributing MemberPosts: 641
Like?
Re: Canon 50D Pixel Units and Noise
In reply to MaryThompson, Jan 3, 2013

That is quite underexposed, but since you used evaluative exposure metering it's hard to know exactly why the camera might have chosen that exposure without seeing the whole scene.

If you're going to crop that much (you've reduced a 15MP image down to 289K pixels), then you would need to expose for exactly what you want to crop.  Evaluative metering is taking into account far more of the scene than the 289K pixels you've retained when making its decision.

Don

MaryThompson wrote:

Thanks everyone, for your replies and suggestions.

I have no doubt that part of the problem is my impatience, inexperience, or ignorance of some particular technique or setting, but since it seems to happen to me on so many photos... there's either camera blur or noise... it's very frustrating. So I'm looking for any and all answers.

Here's a full res image of a Dark Eyed Junco I took just a couple days ago that is an perfect example of how so many of my pictures turn out. This is at 100% with no adjustments of any kind, merely cropped to show the bird alone.

http://maryelizabeththompson.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/DEJU_3531-fullres.png

Here's the EXIF info:

exposure for this image: F/5.6 1/400 ISO 200

Exposure Mode: Auto

Focal Length: 300

Lens: EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Camera: Canon EOS 50D

Metering: Evaluative

Subject Distance: 15.4m

WB: Auto

Taken in Camera RAW

It was an overcast day, but the bird wasn't in the shade. I was probably using the TV Mode in order to keep the shutter speed up to minimize my other issue: blur. I was handholding the camera and the center AF mark would have been centered on the bird's body.

I've always felt that this camera took pictures on the dark side, meaning not evil images , but just that it underexposed everything. I spent some time yesterday reading through my Canon EOS 50D Digital Field Guide Book by Charlotte K. Lowrie, too, reacquainting myself with all the camera settings I have at my disposal.

I'm going to try exposing to the right and using the AEB to get 3 shots at together at neighboring exposures. If anyone else has any suggestions or advice, please post a reply. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow