Are Long-time Olympus users like Leica Zealots?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
acahaya
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?
Re: Are Long-time Olympus users like Leica Zealots?
In reply to Thomas Kachadurian, Jan 3, 2013

There are Olympus zealots but you will also find zealots of other brands, not only limited to photography equipment. Think about HiFi, cars, football clubs, ...

Many people feel the need to identify themselves with something, hundreds of years ago this was clan or family, today it has been replaced with brand loyalty, ...

In addition there are many OM photographers that still remember their OM SLRs fondly and there is a group called Zuikophiles, lovers of the HG and SHG Zuikomlenses. I may not be a Zuikophile but those lenses were the main reason i bought my first Olympus FT camera (i never had a OM, was shooting with Pentax, Minolta and Nikon SLRs). The other reason was that i already owned a C7070 for underwater shooting and was able to reuse the battery, remote control, ...

Regarding Olympus and Panasonic: Panasonic builds very good cameras and i own and like their mFT lenses and have absolutely no problems using them on Olympus bodies. If it comes down to technical merrits, usability, ... Panasonic right now often has the edge but to me all Panasonic camera bodies and many lenses are missing something i'd call character or soul. Same is true for Sony (except the first Minolta inspired bodies and the alpha 900). This is why i would probably choose an Olympus lens over a panasonic lens if i had to choose between 2 lenses with the same specs. Having said that, the Panasonic 35-100 is a zoom i could fall in love with

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow