What Is It With Fuji X and AF Performance?

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Glass half empty?
In reply to 57even, Jan 3, 2013

57even wrote:

CDAF systems are measuring focus at the sensor. Generally when they get a lock its dead on (within the DOF limit anyway) provided you shoot an object with enough contrast. Yes, they can be fooled, but not that often. Moreover, manual focus check on the EVF is always accurate (not always true for SLRs).

This simply is not true. I have 2 years experience with my X100 (and more with my S200EXR) and it is not a rare event when it "locks on" but ends up completely missing focus.  It's become almost a given here that CDF is somehow more accurate than PD but I cannot agree with that because my SLR's slaughter my X100 and previous contrast detect focus cameras in ever possible way.

SLRs are not really very good at AF. D7000's, 5Dmk2s and many other cameras had AF that I would class as barely adequate. My D700 would back focus under tungsten (as do most SLRs) and on some fast lenses would focus shift noticeably. Perhaps your just never noticed?

SLR's are the bench mark of auto focusing.   There is no way around that.  If Fuji's cameras focused as good as an SLR, these discussions would NOT be happening.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow