You wanted to see a quick Olympus E-5 vs Nikon D800 comparison? Here it is.

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,962Gear list
Like?
Re: unassailable DOF ?
In reply to dholl, Jan 3, 2013

dholl wrote:

Messier Object wrote:.

unassailable DOF ?? I'm still not understanding this one

Eg if I was taking a portrait with a 50mm lens on FF camera from 1 metre range. . .
To get the same framing using 4/3 I'd need a 25mm lens, but oh there goes my narrow DOF, darn that 4/3 sensor.

But silly me all I need to do is step back to 2 metres from my subject and use a 50mm lens on my 4/3 camera. The DOF using 50mm f/2 is the same for 4/3 and FF and APS. The only adjustment I need to make is subject distance, and the only difference will be perspective (which is often improved for portraits) and maybe I'll need to adjust the lighting.

or am I still missing something here ??

Peter

First of all, do we always have 2 meters to steb back to? Secondly, your 50mm f2 lens is effectively a 100mm f4 lens (in terms of DoF). You can step back for the same framing as my 50mm f2 full-frame lens, but your DoF will still be wider than mine.

my 50mm f/2 lens has no 'knowledge' of what sensor is behind it. It has exactly the same dof as any other 50mm f/2 lens. When I put my 1.4/50  OM Zuiko on my E-5 it has the same DOF as it will have on my 5D3 (waiting for the OM-EOS adaptor).  It's just that I need to adjust the subject working distance

This DOF penalty is all about equivalence. It's  ONLY when you insist on an equivalent image, that is: same motion blur, framing, perspective and DOF that the 4/3 crop factor comes into play. If you relax the perspective parameter and increase the subject distance then the crop factor of the 4/3 sensor is a non issue.  It's only if you insist on keeping the same perspective that the crop factor forces you to use a shorter focal length with the 4/3 camera. And it's ONLY the shorter FL that widens the DOF.  As a FF shooter you are used to a particular working distance with a particular lens, that's all.  In a large venue or crowded room the crop factor can work to your advantage.

re your question:  do we always have 2 meters to step back to?

I can ask:  Do our subjects always want a camera stuck in their face ?  or
                How can I take candid shots with shallow DOF ?

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow