Wide Angle Options (Panny vs Olympus) for OMD

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
stefano888
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004Gear list
Like?
Re: Wide Angle Options (Panny vs Olympus) for OMD
In reply to JamieTux, Jan 3, 2013

JamieTux wrote:

Hello everyone - I know that variations of this question have been asked lots of times before but it seems that people flip flop depending on what they used last (and seem to suffer a bit from grass is always greener syndrome!)

I want to get a wide angle from my OMD - I am happy with either focal length (7-14mm or 9-18mm) and have used them enough on SLRs to be sure of that - or if there are any alternatives that I've missed let me know too - I don't really want to go down converter routes though so I'm looking for native lenses.

The thing is that I like to buy the right things first - if I get the 9-18mm will I always be looking enviously at the image quality of the 7-14mm or are they close enough not to worry?
I know that there is a significant cost difference and that the 7-14mm is much bigger when not being used - but both options are a lot smaller, lighter and cheaper than equivalents in the SLR world that I've been happy with so I really am just asking about IQ.
Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

I own the 7-14 and I am very happy with it.  I tryed also the 9-18 which is a pretty good lens.

The 7-14 is a little better (more crisp) and isn't so big.

Also 2 mm less (7 instead of 9) in the wide end  is a pretty big difference...

The only drawback is that you have not to allow bright lights (sun)  to touch the frontal lens If you want to avoid reflections.

-- hide signature --

(equipment in profile)
stefano-italy

stefano888's gear list:stefano888's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
psNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow