Happy new year ! TAlking about Building a DSLR system ( slight OT from a 43 user )

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NewOly520User
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031
Like?
Happy new year ! TAlking about Building a DSLR system ( slight OT from a 43 user )
Jan 3, 2013

Greetings everyone and wish you & yours a very happy new year.

I havent been posting much recently due to work commitments. However had the opportunity to take time off and do some photography during my vacation. I was shooting a combination of landscapes( places visited ) and potraits both at home and at some family events.

Was mostly using the only 2 fast lenses I have ( the OM 50mm on a E520 and the m43 45mm on a EP1 ). Otherwise was using the 4/3 14-42 and 40-150 along with a miranda 24mm macro lens

I was satisfied with the 520's output in good light using the kit lenses ( although some extra detail would be very nice ). I infact prefer the 520 in good light even though the the EP1 has a better sensor and I prefer the tiny OVF as well as I seem to compose better and have no black outs

However the story changes when one starts shooting indoors, I was not at all happy with the kit lens' output after using the primes ( this is obviously a known fact ). But the primes were very limiting in terms of focal length and the zooms were more useful. And this is where I was thinking how to build a SLR system. I got the olympus as a first time user with the only intention of acquiring and using a DSLR - never thought about building a system then.

Now that I understand the camera better and its use. I am wondering how to build a SLR system. My brother in law uses pentax and I was seriously impressed by the Pentax 50 -135 F2.8 and Sigma 10 - 20 F4. He has built a pretty impressive system including the Pentax 16 - 50 F4. All he needs is a new body in k-30 ( in addition to the k20d ).
[ One stark difference ofcourse is his lenses weighed a ton whilst my kit bag including the kit lenses, primes and macro and 2 bodies weighed lesser ]

I started exploring about building a system around another brand, however I seem to not have the clarity that Olympus provided in terms of their lens offerings as SG, HG and SHG. The 4/3 system seems to be by far the most understandable and sensible system built. It is a great shame that it is being dumped for reasons that are mostly driven by bad sensors ( compared to other brands ) and a lack of proper marketing

Thought I'd share this thought and get your thoughts here

vidya

Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-P1 Pentax K20D Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow