Color problems with a file... is it me?

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Questions thread
lectrolink
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
Re: Color problems with a file... is it me?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Jan 3, 2013

Sailor Blue, what you say sounds right. I am guessing that the photo I pulled from google+ somehow had its color space stripped. Then, I brought it back into LR (Pro Photo RGB color space) and from there in and out of PS Elements 9.0 (the PS program I use on my laptop for non-critical editing; I only use the full version of CS5 Photoshop on my desktop). Elements seems to have no option that deals with profile mismatches. In Edit>Color Settings, Elements offers only four options:

• No color Mgmt (ignores & discards existing color profiles, if any)
  • Always optimize colors for computer screens
  • Always optimize colors for Print
  • Allow me to choose

No color space warnings or Ask When Opening options. In the Save As dialog, PS Elements 9.0 offers one option for color, which is a checkbox on or off for "ICC profile:sRGB." That does not change no matter which color setting you choose (I used optimize for computers). There is no Pro Photo RGB option. But my washed out Fastone result is the same whether I use LR only or PS Elements only or both. Does PS Elements only do sRGB color space? If so, why am I having the color problems when saving from that program and avoiding LR altogether? Maybe I should run it on PSE on "No color management" setting to get rid of any existing color profile and then maybe it will save correctly in sRGB??

Sailor Blue wrote:

I have seen a similar problem to what you are describing. Here is the answer I found.

1. Somehow in its travels the sRGB embedded color space was stripped from your image.

2. You have Photoshop Color Settings set to some non-sRGB color space. I keep mine set to ProPhoto to match Lightroom, which is what Adobe recommends if you use both.

3. You do not have Photoshop Edit/Color Settings set to Ask When Opening when there are Profile Mismatches or Missing Profiles.

If all of the above is true then when you save the image using the File/Save command it will be saved in the wrong color space, the one you have Photoshop set for.

To correct this turn on the Edit/Color Settings/Color Management Policies/Ask When Opening settings to give you profile warnings and start using the Edit/Assign Profile/sRGB or Filehoto I pulled/Save for Web commands instead of the File/Save one.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

lectrolink's gear list:lectrolink's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Pentax K-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow