OM-D and Aperture: red saturation in skin tones.

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ukdoc
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
OM-D and Aperture: red saturation in skin tones.
Jan 3, 2013

Hello

This has perhaps been covered here already, sorry new member!

I have found some similar discussions on various sites around the internet but no clear answer.

Is anyone using the OMD with Aperture 3.4.3 on a Mac?

I have not been happy with the red tone or saturation since getting the camera and have not found a easy routine setting which solves the problem. Previously I used a Nikon D80 and Lightroom but when I bought the OMD Lightroom did not have a RAW converter so I bought Aperture, partly because I had a new MacBook Air and thought I would use that solely with my OMD and my other camera would work with Lightroom on my older Mac.

I never use the Nikon now.

When importing Olympus raw files into Aperture the red in skin tones, but especially on the lips on my children's faces, gets shifted to a really unnatural magenta tinged red. It can be solved by playing with the colour temperature, saturation, vibrancy, red saturation and red luminescence but each photo requires a lot of tweaking.

I use the Panasonic Lumix 20mm f1.7 almost constantly. I photograph children in natural light, never use a flash and tend to use the camera outside so ISO usually around 200-400.

I have tried a variety of settings on the camera but mostly use aperture mode, 3-Natural, 0 saturation, normal graduation, sSGB colour space, but I have to be honest there is no real change by altering any of these. The other colours alter as you might predict but the red in skin alters proportionally, so in the vivid with +2 satruation all of the colours are over saturated but red is still very magenta and unnatural. Conversely with saturation -2 and muted the lips are still magenta.

Am I doing something stupid?

I can post examples.

Thanks

R

Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow