I looked through an optical viewfinder

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Greg Lovern
Senior MemberPosts: 1,565
Like?
Re: What about fast-moving subjects *in dim light*?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Jan 3, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Greg Lovern wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Greg Lovern wrote:

hpeter wrote:

I never had problems tracking fast moving subjects. I'm not a bird photographer, but I've shot an osprey carrying a fish, and was also able to follow a seagull when I tried, and it never occurred to me that it was difficult to track "becuase of the EVF".

What about fast-moving subjects in dim light?

I know that someday we'll have EVFs that are just as good as OVFs for very fast-moving subjects in very dim light, but are we there now already?

Just curious.

Greg

-- hide signature --

Brand loyalty is a character flaw.

What would you consider dim light for action? We can discuss it using brightness value if exif includes it or calculate it using iso, aperture and shutter speed. Would brightness value of 1 suffice or do we need to go into negative territory?

I'm not sure because my DSLR won't go there without flash. I have the most powerful shoe-mounted flash available for my DSLR and I use it often with my young kids running around in very dim indoor lighting. Of course I bounce it whenever possible. So -- how are today's EVFs for small children running around in very dim indoor lighting?

Greg

-- hide signature --

That doesn't mean much because flash may be required over a variety of situations, for various reasons. What matters in this case is what kind of brightness of the scene you're alluding to. With EVF, I regularly shoot in near dark conditions, usually with manual focus (which is more my style). I'm extremely picky about using flash and will use only if absolutely necessary.

Here's an example of near dark shooting (Brightness Value: -2.38):

That's an interesting shot; what are those things?

I regularly shoot in near dark conditions

When you do that, how well does the EVF keep up with fast-moving subjects?

If today's EVFs can keep up with fast-moving subjects in near-dark, maybe it's time for me to start saving my pennies to get one. With my DSLR, in the dark I can't see my subjects well but AF still works fine so I can get a shot, but can't really capture the moment as well as I'd like because I can't see facial expressions. But with an EVF I'd be able to see facial expressions no matter how dark the scene was -- correct?

Greg

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow