Are Long-time Olympus users like Leica Zealots?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,627Gear list
Like?
Re: Are Long-time Olympus users like Leica Zealots?
In reply to Thomas Kachadurian, Jan 3, 2013

I'm an FNG here at m4/3 (and under this screen name at DP, but only because I lost the log in info on my original screen name since 95), so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that one bit. I personally have seen as much, if not more love for the Panasonic lens's as the Olympus.  From high end primes to zooms, I personally see, or at least it seems that way, at least as much, if not more interest in the Panasonic glass with the exception of a few Oly lens's.

I've seen a HUGE increase in GH3 threads and traffic.  Absolutely, OMD owners (and those who wish they were) love the OMD, but most of that love seems to come from the images it produces, not the camera itself although it's certainly a beautiful camera.  I've seen more threads and comments about the E-PL5 having the same sensor, image quality, etc. and "is it a Sony sensor" than I have about the camera itself or anything to do with the fact that it's Olympus.

Finally, I've not seen all the threads about menu's, but based on those I have, as well as what you referenced in your post, it seems to me that it is not so much a matter of an exclusive club so much as the menu being familiar to anyone who has used, on a regular basis, a previous generation of Olympus, just as my E1 menu's felt instantly familiar coming from an E10 and E20, and a D300's menu felt familiar coming from a D200 (although as Sean mentioned in an earlier thread, the D200's menus SUCK).

I'm certainly not trying to outright disagree with you.  I guess it's just another example of perception is reality, and your perception in this differs significantly from mine.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow