How good is the E35F18-OSS ? Simple test

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,789Gear list
Like?
Re: How good is the E35F18-OSS ? Simple test
In reply to sean lancaster, Jan 3, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

Well done Henry. I am fairly happy with the Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.4 when I need to zoom a bit over my Zeiss 24. However, I like the Voigtlander not for how it would do on a test like this because it would surely not do too well, but because I like the way it renders skin tones and how it creates subject separation. That being said, it's manual focus and I won't use manual focus for anything important (assuming a dynamic scene like a birthday party) and I like what I see in the Emount 35/1.8. I think it's living up the hopes that a lot of people had, particularly those individuals who didn't want to spent $1,000+ for the Zeiss 24 or who didn't want a main lens that wide.

Thanks Sean, I also like the CV35/1.4 for (indoor) people shots - it renders very nicely. And yes, it would flunk the outdoor sharpness tests as well.

I used both E24 and E35 on a NY's eve party, and indeed, the E35 is quite usable in a dynamic setting. OSS is great if your subjects are willing to stand still, similar to the E50, but with a more usable FOV.

I can see many choosing the E35 with either the kit zoom or the Sigma 19 - it covers lot of circumstances, while alleviating the need for the E24.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow