Waterproof G15

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
kayakjoe
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Re: Waterproof G15
In reply to Robert Anderson, Jan 3, 2013

Robert Anderson wrote:

I have had the same frustrations with waterproof compact cameras. I have a Canon D10 and D20. Neither one does as well as I would like for shots such as the one you posted. Is that Ohiopyle falls? I have gotten a lot of great shots there but not with my waterproof cameras.

Have you considered a waterproof housing for the G15? I realize it will be too big to fit in a PFD pocket but should still be more convenient than the pelican box and less risk to the camera. I often shoot from the kayak in the middle of a rapid where the risk would be too great to take the camera out of a pelican box. I have used underwater housings with my Canon G7 and S95. I can stuff them down the front of my PFD. The image quality with these is much better than the waterproof compacts.

I recently got the Sony RX100. I am looking forward to taking it on the river but I don't have a housing for it yet. I will use a smaller pelican type box for the time being and only shoot from the bank.

Good luck

Robert,

One problem I have never been able to overcome  is water drops on the lens,   Rainx  helps  but I can't  count how many great shots have been lost due to a drop of water.   I don't think a waterproof housing will help.  So I am hoping keeping everything in a dry box  will  improve my keeper rate greatly.

Be careful when picking a pelican box,   the smaller ones like the 1020  are only rated as water-resistant   and I have  often seen them fail.    But then again  my friend and I tend to take a beat from time to time.

-- hide signature --

Joe

kayakjoe's gear list:kayakjoe's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow