Canon 15-85: A worthy upgrade for the money?

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Re: Canon 15-85: A worthy upgrade for the money?
In reply to potatograph, Jan 3, 2013

potatograph wrote:

I'm an amateur photographer that likes to shoot mostly landscapes and the family. I probably spend most of my time on the family. I currently have a Canon 40D with an 18-55 and 50mm 1.8. I'm looking to upgrade my kit lens to something that has a little more reach, but also improves the image quality. I'm pretty happy with the 18-55 in terms of IQ, but I'd love to have a lens that produces a little sharper image.

I'm pretty much looking at the 15-85 and the 18-135 STM. The 15-85 is about $200 more, so that is figuring into my decision. I know the 15-85 gets better reviews, but for what I'm shooting, do you guys think there will be a noticeable difference between the 15-85 and the 18-135, and for that matter, between my 18-55 and either of these two lenses?

Like I said, I'm looking for something with a little more reach to be a good walkaround lens, but also produce sharper images. I used the have the 55-250, and it was good, but want a walkaround lens that covers a bit more range.

FWIW, I have the money to buy either lens, just not sure if the 15-85 is worth the extra $$$.

I've only had the 15-85 for a few weeks, but honestly. I'd say the 15-85 is worth even more than it costs.  Buy it and don't look back, I seriously can't imagine the lens being any better.  It could be faster, but the IS makes up for that, and then it would be much larger too.

jbjones's gear list:jbjones's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow