Canon 15-85: A worthy upgrade for the money?

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
jbjones
Regular MemberPosts: 404Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 15-85: A worthy upgrade for the money?
In reply to potatograph, Jan 3, 2013

potatograph wrote:

I'm an amateur photographer that likes to shoot mostly landscapes and the family. I probably spend most of my time on the family. I currently have a Canon 40D with an 18-55 and 50mm 1.8. I'm looking to upgrade my kit lens to something that has a little more reach, but also improves the image quality. I'm pretty happy with the 18-55 in terms of IQ, but I'd love to have a lens that produces a little sharper image.

I'm pretty much looking at the 15-85 and the 18-135 STM. The 15-85 is about $200 more, so that is figuring into my decision. I know the 15-85 gets better reviews, but for what I'm shooting, do you guys think there will be a noticeable difference between the 15-85 and the 18-135, and for that matter, between my 18-55 and either of these two lenses?

Like I said, I'm looking for something with a little more reach to be a good walkaround lens, but also produce sharper images. I used the have the 55-250, and it was good, but want a walkaround lens that covers a bit more range.

FWIW, I have the money to buy either lens, just not sure if the 15-85 is worth the extra $$$.

I've only had the 15-85 for a few weeks, but honestly. I'd say the 15-85 is worth even more than it costs.  Buy it and don't look back, I seriously can't imagine the lens being any better.  It could be faster, but the IS makes up for that, and then it would be much larger too.

GET IT!

ONE OF US!

ONE OF US!

jbjones's gear list:jbjones's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow