My D40 or back to film?

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
zygh
zygh Senior Member • Posts: 1,798
Re: My D40 or back to film?

As you know, the D40 looses metering with manual glass, however you'd be surprised to find out just how easy one gets used to metering a scene just by looking at it. I use the D40 with a bunch of manual Nikkor glass and it took me a second try, when I was starting out, in order to get the right metering. I just checked the shot scene on the LCD and then adjusted the camera/lens and it would be fine a second time. The thing one looses are those big viewfinders of the 35mm cameras; compared to a FM2 or even FG vf, the D40's vf is small and dark. However, one kind of gets away with using the green dot for focusing although it takes some practice.

I think the way to go is definitely mirrorless, if you want to use old manual glass. The bigger the sensor the better. Just try it out with a cheap NEX and get the feel of it. The focus is pretty easy too as you have two ways of focusing the lens: magnifying it up to 2x or using peaking mode, technology taken from video cameras that really works once you get the hang of it.

zygh's gear list:zygh's gear list
Nikon D40 NEX5R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow