My D40 or back to film?

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
zygh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?
Re: My D40 or back to film?
In reply to Guy Bouchard, Jan 2, 2013

As you know, the D40 looses metering with manual glass, however you'd be surprised to find out just how easy one gets used to metering a scene just by looking at it. I use the D40 with a bunch of manual Nikkor glass and it took me a second try, when I was starting out, in order to get the right metering. I just checked the shot scene on the LCD and then adjusted the camera/lens and it would be fine a second time. The thing one looses are those big viewfinders of the 35mm cameras; compared to a FM2 or even FG vf, the D40's vf is small and dark. However, one kind of gets away with using the green dot for focusing although it takes some practice.

I think the way to go is definitely mirrorless, if you want to use old manual glass. The bigger the sensor the better. Just try it out with a cheap NEX and get the feel of it. The focus is pretty easy too as you have two ways of focusing the lens: magnifying it up to 2x or using peaking mode, technology taken from video cameras that really works once you get the hang of it.

zygh's gear list:zygh's gear list
Nikon D40 NEX5R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow