What Is It With Fuji X and AF Performance?

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
NJHr
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: Because....
In reply to Charlesn, Jan 2, 2013

Charlesn wrote:

This isn't magic or a black box... it's about writing better code, since CDAF is largely a matter of software.

True but have you ever conducted R&D in software based signal processing systems? When you don't understand how something works it is as good as magic, especially given that we are talking about a companies IPR and not stuff we can just read in the scientific literature. If one assumes however all the companies reverse engineer each others products and have equally good engineers we could expect to see a catch up after a year or two. Assuming of course it is all about the software and the X mount, lens focusing mechs and basic processing architecture don't have some fundamental flaws.

This is why I have hope in Fuji, they massively improved the X100 over its lifetime with firmware updates and I can remember how horrifically slow the E-P1 was. My X100 for example has clearly faster AF than my old E-P2 had with the Panny 20 and it fails less in low light/low contrast scenarios. The release dates between the camera bodies is not much which indicates to me that Fuji can't be that far behind.

BTW I have used the OMD it was crazy fast but its like the difference between quick enough and quicker not the way many seem to obsessively paint it on these forums.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow