50mm f/1.8G Out of stock everywhere? And an ask for recommendations.

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
erikvw
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: 50mm f/1.8G Out of stock everywhere? And an ask for recommendations.
In reply to joejack951, Jan 2, 2013

I'm definitely taking the route of using the 18-105 to start out with, I know from chasing my own kids around that getting them together, both looking at the camera and in focus is challenging to say the least. I guess I'm hoping to get some glass to grow into, while my initial foray will be kids for friends and family, I'm hoping to convince some of my adult friends to pose for me as well and learn the more creative side to lighting. My big decision is now between the 85 1.8 as it has a sterling reputation and the Sigma 17-50 2.8. I am fully aware that these don't seem like competitors but I'm torn between the versatility of the zoom and it's uses outside of portrait work (and it's potential shortcomings for portrait work) and the 85 which would be, for me, almost exclusively a portrait lens... I'm certain that by this time next year I will have both but I can't drop $1100 in one chunk right now on glass, I have a few more items related to the studio setup as well to purchase.

I appreciate all the feedback here, I would never have even considered testing out that legacy lens had it not been for this thread...

erikvw's gear list:erikvw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow