What Is It With Fuji X and AF Performance?

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
mjl699
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
Re: this is Fuji issue, not CDAF
In reply to Mr Hyde, Jan 2, 2013

Mr Hyde wrote:

ohmydentist wrote:

Sony Nex, Olympus, and Panasonic cameras with CDAF all show blazing fast AF, only thing lagging behind PDAF would be subject tracking.

I remember it took a few years for Olympus to catch up to Panasonic's AF speed, and I'm sure Fuji is going through the same learning curve.

-- hide signature --

^__^
Just Shoot !

I'd take issue with you in relation to the Sony NEX 7, at least. I owned that and enjoyed it, but AF was no better than the X-Pro, in my view. It was a frequent occurrence that I missed shots because the camera could not focus, or would not focus accurately. It just seems to me that the case is overstated by many, and I get about as many red frames on my Fuji as I got green dotted borders on my NEX.

I would also take issue re:Panasonic - the DMC-GX1 AF is worse than the X-Pro1. The GX1 was released at the back end of 2011 and the X-Pro1 a few months later. No doubt improvements have occurred since these releases (I'd certainly hope so) and no doubt future models from all manufacturers will be better still.

Note I am not saying the GX1 is a bad camera either. I like it very much and in my opinion it is better in every way possible than the Cannon EOS 400D I used before it (including autofocus and including low light performance). Which shows just how much cameras have advanced in recent years, when something nearly pocketable beats an entry level SLR hands-down.

As the original post said it is true that the autofocus in the X-Pro1 and the GX1 (and the 400D it replaced) is a slow relative to PDAF, e.g. that of the EOS 3 I used to use, and that of a friend's 40D I used recently. These were both fast and accurate.

-- hide signature --

mjl599

mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow