Tele for D800 - 200mm f2 vs. 300 f2.8 both with TC2.0 III option ...

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NikonManSoCal
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Tele for D800 - 200mm f2 vs. 300 f2.8 both with TC2.0 III option ...
Jan 2, 2013

For landscape and nature/birding work on a D800 ....

- 200mm f2.0 VRII

(having owned the old manual version of this lens years ago, I have been lusting for the new VRII version for a while as it is probably the finest piece of glass Nikon has made after the 58mm 1.2 NOCT. I'm thinking to use this as a medium tele, with options out to 400 f4 with the TC2-III, and possibly using crop mode on the FX to "squeeze" in a little more. This fatty with the TC2-III is as good as it gets. I do not do portraits or studio work - so the desire for this lens is one of absolute sharpness, wide open, and excellent performance with the TC2-III as a 400mm f4 for birding)

or

300mm f2.8 VRII

(probably a more reasonable choice for me for the range, but the 200mm f2.0's sharpness and TC IQ are VERY appealing to me. Options here are out to 600 f5.6 with the TC2-III. Since the 300mm f2.8 VRII and the new TC2-III were released together, I assume they are 90% IQ of the 200mm f2 with the TC2 III.)

or

Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS HSM

(I have never used non-Nikon glass, and Sigma's QC has me a bit worried, but the reviews are generally very good to excellent for this versatile zoom. Range is excellent and its fast, not to mention its a great value for $2999. My concerns are resale value if I decide to unload it, and potentially having to cross ship to get a decent copy.)

Any and all comments are welcome!

Thanks

Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow