Another one on resolution (Bayer vs. Foveon) - AND or OR?

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 19,519Gear list
Like?
Re: "Mathematics vs. Science"
In reply to Lin Evans, Jan 2, 2013

Lin Evans wrote:

There is no end to the attempts at obfuscating this simple observation by throwing around sampling theory and "real Nyquist limits" as opposed to commonly accepted Nyquist theoretical limits used by all major reviewers. I've heard multiple arguments about "disappearing detail" with slight half pixel shifts and such which have zero real-world application or importance. As I've said elsewhere, I've yet to see a line "disappear" with a half pixel shift on either a resolution photo or otherwise. My position is that when theory and real-world experience collide, real world experience dominates - always!

It matters how carefully you look. You can see lots of strange things going on if you pixel peep.

I really don't care what Popular Photography has to say about "resolution" because the term as it applies to photography in the relevant sense means something is either there and visible and identifiable or it isn't. If it's "not there" with my CFA camera and "is there" with my Sigma at the same focal length photographed with an identical lens from the identical position under identical lighting, then the Foveon has out-resolved the CFA sensor. All the charts, math, theory, "true Nyquist limits for absolute accuracy," disappearing lines with half pixel shifts and such are relegated to the essence of white noise.

It is my experience that measured and observed resolution correlate quite nicely.

The only thing I cannot explain ( yet ) is the super natural through haze seeing of far away objects. I have seen some such images here.

It's tiresome for me arguing these same points for so many years. I left the forum once because of this - maybe I should have stayed away - LOL.

Please stay. You are quite a nice guy and I like your photos

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YMMVNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow