Have you swapped your DSLR for a NEX 6 or 7?

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
DAndison
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you swapped your DSLR for a NEX 6 or 7?
In reply to chrisnorris, Jan 2, 2013

I have a Nex 7 and a Canon 5d mk ii.

While I haven't sold the 5d I haven't used it much either over the last year. The one thing that keeps me from selling is access to a good long zoom lens. The 55-210 is good but not a match for the 100-400. I am toying with the idea of trying a Canon 70-200L with the metabones adapter that I have.

Using the Nex 7 felt a bit strange to begin with, controls close together etc and using ND grads felt awkward after having plenty of space to move around on the 5d but now, I love it. The 5d is a great camera but I use the Nex 7 a lot more as it is easy to carry round. I can carry the camera and 4-5 lenses easily and still be lighter than the 5d plus 1 additional lens.

I take a lot of outdoor and mountain landscape photography so the reduced weight and size and extremely important. It also saves on bagage weight when flying 

Now it feels strange using the 5d, I miss the EVF and it's ability to display the Histogram and level data. I miss the speed of the Tri Navi system and being able to see instantly in the viewfinder as to what you will get. Also being able to review the images in the viewfinder on a sunny day is a real bonus.

With good lenses and lowish ISO, it does give the 5d a run for it's money, highler ISO, there's only ever going to be one winner, the 5d.

That said, if you use a tripod or mainly work within an ISO 100-400 it will provide amazing quality images and at ISO 800 is still a top performer. Wouldn't want to try submitting work to agencies at ISO 1600 though while keeping to a 50mb tiff minimum. You would need to reduce the resolution to much to get them passed a very critical QC team and that means taking the pixel size below 5000 on the long edge, below the 50mb tiff file size.

So, for me anyway, noise at higher ISO's and autofocus are two areas they need to improve on with the next version.  That said, I've started using manual focus a lot more now and prefer it but it would be good to have the option of an improved autofocus system. The future? I will get the full frame version when it comes out and that will be the final nail in the Canon coffin. Even now it sits on the shelf most of the time.

Nex 7 = no regrets.

DAndison's gear list:DAndison's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow