Another one on resolution (Bayer vs. Foveon) - AND or OR?

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,383Gear list
Like?
Re: A Couple Points....
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Jan 2, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

With every generation that statement is less and less true. Currently untrue at ISO 3200. Your problem is that you are stuck years behind in terms of understanding what is possible.

I have not checked myself, but as far as I know it has been stated in reviews and elsewhere that high ISO images from the Merrill cameras still desaturates. Anyone?

And much less because it does not throw away a bunch of light to begin with.

Oh no. Erik is quite right. BSI would be gold worth for Foveon, if possible. It seems to be a very difficult thing to do though.

And regarding throwing away light. Yes - its true that Bayer throws away 2/3 of the light. Thats unfortunate indeed. But ... Foveon loses more due to the higher noise level and that a strong color conversion is needed.

Proceed down your fantasy path more if you wish, I'm done clarifying YET AGAIN for people without real world experience of what happens when you press the clicky button.

Hmmm .. I dont know Erik, but I get the impression when reading his posts that he is very experienced. We dont always agree, but my experience is that he always understands.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YMMVNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow