Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fjmNYC
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
T4i to 6D
Jan 2, 2013

Hi all. I know it's boring to ask the old question, What camera should I own? And I know people ask this same question over and over again. I've browsed this forum, but I still want to ask for some feedback. I recently purchased a T4i because I liked the price and it seemed it was almost as good as the 60D, even better in some respects (auto-focus video, e.g.). I already owned a 24-70 EF lens (first generation, my only lens, aside from the 18-55 kit lens, which is hardly worth keeping). I use the camera for family, tourism, and for occasional ethnographic field research, including video (for which I need reasonably good audio as well). Generally, I'm pleased with it so far, EXCEPT for high ISO performance. I'd expected high ISO to be much better, even on entry level DSLRs. 3200 can be questionable. 6400 rather noisy in low light. So now I'm thinking of exchanging for the 6D. Obviously much more expensive, so that's a consideration. But the high ISO seems to be exceptional. And the FF will allow me to really take advantage of the 24-70 (I may, however, exchange the 24-70 for the 24-105 kit, and then get a fixed 35mm). Never had a FF. How different will that experience be? What I would miss is the onboard flash (for fill) and the articulating screen, perhaps also the autofocus for video. I do intend to do some semi-pro video. But I need good high ISO as I often shoot music events in low light. I don't want to lug around a lot of stuff, such as a flash and a catalog of lenses. (And the more one carries, the harder it is to guard from theft). I'd probably be happy with the 24-70 II as my main lens, but it's too expensive. I'll already be stretching the budget a good bit on the camera body. Another thought is hanging on to the T4i until the next M model comes out, but who knows when and what that will be? I don't need professional level, but very good, yes. (I originally went to the store to get the Sony RX-100 but did not care for it when I handled it.) Thoughts? Thanks!

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow