Hogan, Camera Critic, abandons long-time hiking partner Nikon DX in wilderness

Started Jan 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
String
Senior MemberPosts: 1,358Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom has lost the plot.
In reply to Shunda77, Jan 2, 2013

Well as a long term Nikon user (since the mid 70's), I can tell you that there is a huge weight savings on going to m43. Yep, a 5100 may be close to the same weight (body) as an OM-D, however it's not nearly as durable a build, weatherproof, or has the external controls. Add in a full compliment of glass... You can carry from (35 equiv.) 14mm all the way to 150mm in a tiny bag (and that's an f4, an f2.8 and an f1.8). I can also say that the OM-D has less noise and more DR than my D300, single target focuses faster and I don't stick out like sore thumb when walking down the street.

Of course, it's not a choice for everyone. However since reaching 50, I really don't miss hiking/backpacking/vacationing with 30+ lbs of gear on my back. I can completely understand where Thom is coming from. Are there features/design decisions that I wish it had? Of course the are, just like every other camera I've ever owned.

Oh and btw, if you would actually read Thoms site, you would realize than he doesn't just "get" freebies from Nikon (or anyone else). He buy's them, just like the rest of us. And yes, his opinion's are completely valid; he has more exposure to "gear" than 95% of us and uses it to make a living with. I suspect he knows a substantial amount more regarding photography than do the majority of people on this site.

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow