Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
quadrox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Re: Three Quick Questions vs The Enjoyment of Photography
In reply to Great Bustard, Jan 2, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

grumpyolderman wrote:

Ironically, Equivalence works against larger formats, as the noise advantage for larger sensor systems disappears for Equivalent photos.

GB, enlighten me here, same scene, same metering, FF show less noise (maybe not if the sensor is 7 years old) in real pictures, why is this then? Assuming same number of pixels per sensor, the larger pixels will get more light per pixel at same exposure settings, making it easier for the sensor to generate a final picture with less noise, I would say latest sensors compared FF still has about a 2 f-stop advantage in noise alone, and some in DR.

Equivalent photos have the same perspective, framing, DOF, and shutter speed. The consequence of this is that the same total amount of light is projected on the sensor. Thus, if the sensors are equally efficient, the noise will be the same.

[...]

GB, I would have hoped that you had realized this already, perhaps I need to spell it out for you...

Your angle on equivalence is very counter-intuitive for most people. Focussing explicitly on the cases where larger formats have no advantage instead of focussing on what separates larger from smaller formats is very very counter-intuitive. People just don't care when things are the same, they care about when they are different and when larger formats have an advantage.

Although you have got the actual science down to a pat, your presentation is always confounding to the non-initiated for this reason alone. I would hope that you understand this and approach these discussions with that in mind.

I'll leave you boys to it now, because I am getting tired of seeing one avoidable misunderstanding after another.

quadrox's gear list:quadrox's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow