D600 vs. D800... which one is the most balanced camera?

Started Jan 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
BjarneChr
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
Re: Pretty strong plastic mount (300/2.8 = no problem)
In reply to chlamchowder, Jan 2, 2013

I have no problem using my 70-200mm 2.8VRII on it, the plastic does not flex. Nor does it when mounting the Sigma 150-500mm, so I doubt it will be an issue. I haven't heard of a D7000 where the plastic mount has failed, so I don't think this should be an issue at all. But nevertheless I always support my lenses when shooting, it gives the best comfort anyways. Should it crack, which i doubt, i would recon a fair priced repair.

When I decided between the D600 and the D800 i made a pro/con list for each camera and rated them from 0 to 5 (0=Non importance, 1= nice,5=need). I came up with a list where the only critical issue was the missing 100% zoom on the ok button in preview mode. All other features was none important or nice to have. Then I decided that it couldn't justify the extra price .... but thats based on my oppinion and needs.

Now having used it for a couple of weeks i am pretty sure i made the correct choice, IQ is stunning and it handles very well. I can't think of a situation it can't photograph, but maybe in some situations there is a more convenient way to do it with the D800. I am pretty sure that whats limiting the D600 is actually the person behind it, or if paired with cheap low class lenses. Having said that the D800 is also a very very impressive camera, but i still can't justify cashing out the price difference between the two.

It all comes down to your usage pattern and personal preferences. Either camera delivers in terms of image quality!

-- hide signature --

/Bjarne
----------
http://www.hobby-foto.dk
Nikon D300, Nikon D600
Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm F1.8
Nikkor AF 50mm F1.8 D
Tamron 28-75mm F2.8
Nikon 70-200 F2.8 VRII
Sigma 150-500mm F5.6-6.3 HSM OS
Nikon SB-600
Nikon SB-700

BjarneChr's gear list:BjarneChr's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow