Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,524Gear list
Like?
Re: Three Quick Questions vs The Enjoyment of Photography
In reply to herebefore, Jan 2, 2013

herebefore wrote:

Brian Wadie wrote:

Me, I lke my technical toys but get the greatest enjoyment from print-making (which maybe means that I'm not a photographer at all? )

Good of you to mention "Prints"...

I think that all too often, "The Print" is left out of photography discussions in the electronic Fora.

Coming from a generation to whom digital will always be "The New Way To shoot", (I started in the 1950s) the print has always been the "goal".

I live in a Literal "House full of printers" with several dedicated to pigmented inks, several dedicated to dye inks, and several dedicated to dye-sub prints.

There is still a world full of PEOPLE THAT DO NOT VIEW PHOTOS ON AN ELECTRONIC SCREEN!

If I cant get a shot to look good on paper (to me), then I don't consider it to be a successful shot!

Well said, Larry!

I'm trying to keep up with this thread, but as soon as I do something important, like learning LR, it grows...

The other advantage of print is that the quality is independent of format! by which I mean that I can have the same number of dots/pixels/what you will vertically or horizontally!  The digital age is being constrained into a wide panorama like viewing the outside world through one's mail slot (or letterbox as we call it here!)

Secondly, digital requires at best 1920 pixels wide - and only 1050 pixels high. So why is everyone making such a fuss about pixel peeking? unless they are digital zooming - a properly framed shot in the camera will have at least 4 pixels squeezed into one... or 8 and more if it's presented in 'portrait mode'.

So now my best pictures (as always) are those I can print. My Digital output consists in that stuff that doesn't quite pass muster...

A happy New Year to y'all!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow