Next lens choice for GH3... 25mm or 100-300?

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sea_dragon
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?
Next lens choice for GH3... 25mm or 100-300?
Jan 2, 2013

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get some opinions here.  I currently have the GH3 with the 12-35 and 35-100 lenses.  And let's just say that I'm "allowed" to get one more lens for my kit.

I'm trying to decide between the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 prime and the 100-300 zoom.  I realize these are 2 different lenses with completely different purposes.

Here's my thought process so far:

Originally, I was going to get the prime tothe extra 2 stops of brightness.  I like taking indoor photos in available light and never use the flash unless absolutely necessary.  However, I recently was reading a review of the 12-35 and the reviewer pointed out that because the 12-35 is stabilized and the 25mm is not, the 12-35 is actually just as capable as the 25 for low light shooting.  I have indeed found the 12-35 to be quite good in low light after taking many pics with it lately.  This made me re-think my desire to get the 25.  I'm not sure how much better the 25mm would be in comparison.

Having said that, I also like to take pics of thing like the moon and also various wildlife (birds, squirrels etc.).  The 35-100 is a great lens but it doesn't have the reach for these types of shots.  If I were to pickup the 100-300, I would then have a kit that would cover the 35mm equivalent of 24mm-600mm.  And with the GH3's ETR mode, that reach is even further.  Of course, these would all be zoom lenses, but would give me the ability to take photos of practically anything and allow me to carry it all in my small bag (ThinkTank Speed Demon).

I'm thinking now that I might get more out of having the extra reach vs the low light capability of the 25mm.

I guess what I'm wondering is if the 25mm 1.4 is similar enough to the 12-35 in low light.  If so, I probably would go straight to the long zoom.

I realize this is all subjective, but I would appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Thanks!

sea_dragon's gear list:sea_dragon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow