A55 just died - how much to repair in UK?

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AntonyJ
Regular MemberPosts: 268
Like?
A55 just died - how much to repair in UK?
Jan 2, 2013

My two year old A55 died a few days ago towards the end of a holiday in Cuba. The shutter made a strange sound when taking a shot and then everything went dead. I tried another battery and got some life out of it, but all it said is "Camera Error" on the screen and the little red light stays on permanently.

Experimenting, a freshly charged battery gives the light + error message, while an even slightly discharged battery doesn't give any response at all (I have 3 genuine batteries). The shutter remains firmly closed. I've taken around 9700 photos with it, so the shutter is well within it's design life (though of course I realise with the double action of the shutter, and use of HHT mode etc, the number of actuations is 20k+)

Up to now I've had no problems with the camera apart from the occassional "F--" error, which I assume is just a tollerance error in the mount vs the lenses causing a communication failure.

Now I'm home I've been Googling (internet access was limited in Cuba) and found a few references to replaced shutters or main circuit boards. Does anyone know how much this is likely to cost to fix if I send it back to Sony UK (or an alternative?). I really like the camera - it's a near perfect combination of image quality, features and size for me, and there's no direct replacement in the current Sony lineup (A65/77 a bit big, A33/57 lack GPS)

Thanks,

Antony.

ANSWER:
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow