Started Jan 2, 2013 | Questions thread
chromnd
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Re: Flexible spot DMF like mode for legacy lenses MF
In reply to lesnapanda, Jan 2, 2013

lesnapanda wrote:

Hi!

I started to play around with legacy manual lenses again and after a couple of minutes I realized what was so frustrating about it - the focusing. When I shoot with a AF capable lens, I mostly use DMF and flexible spot - which gives me the ability to easily focus on peoples eyes/etc. With old manual lenses, the MF assist mode gives only an enlarged view of the center of the image - not good in most cases (for "one third rule" pictures). Is there a way to make the camera behave like with DMF with flexible spot focus (enlarging the area which was selected before)? My Nex is the original 5 (the oldest one) - perhaps something like this is possible with never versions?

Thanks!

Oh and yes - I use focus peaking but it does not work well with very shallow DOF and poor light conditions.

You should be able to move the magnification area when you are in MF by clicking on the wheel on the backside (4 directions). You have to be in magnification mode already before you can move the area. This works with my NEX-3 (should be almost identical to the NEX-5 from the SW point of view) and with my NEX-6.

Once you moved the magnification area it will stay on this position also for the next shots until you change the focus mode or power off the camera.

chromnd's gear list:chromnd's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow