Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 22,487
Like?
Re: Three Quick Questions vs The Enjoyment of Photography
In reply to richarddd, Jan 2, 2013

richarddd wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

richarddd wrote:

1) Some are interested in technical information for its own sake.

Absolutely.

2) For others, there should be practical implications. The practical implication of the entire equivalence issue comes into play when you are deciding between cameras with different sensor sizes...

Yes.

...and might have believed there are differences that don't actually exist.

You lost me with that. As a side, if one believed that, for example, f/2.8 1/100 ISO 200 and f/5.6 1/100 ISO 800 had the same exposure, then they would have to conclude that FF has the same exposure as mFT for Equivalent photos.

If you're trying to decide between different formats, it would be helpful to know if you are likely to see differences in image quality when talking "equivalent" photos.

Indeed.  However, more to the point, is you're looking to see what types of photos one system can do that the other can't, or what kinds of photos once system can do better than the other.

In the end, it's the final photo that matters. But to maximize the IQ of the photo, it helps to know what exposure is and what the ISO setting on the camera actually does.

Here's a particulary practical example. f/2.8 1/100 ISO 800 and f/2.8 1/100 ISO 3200 have the same exposure (for a given scene) since they result in the same density of light falling on the sensor.

Let's assume that the ISO 3200 pic gives the desired brightness. Why use ISO 800 and push two stops in post? The answer is because the ISO 800 pic will give two stops more DR (since elements of the scene will be pushed outside the bit-depth of the recorded file), and thus the photographer has greater lattitude in the tone curves they can successfully apply to the photo with virtually no noise penalty, since the EM5 is essentially isoless at and beyond ISO 800.

The disadvantage, of course, is that the image playback will be dark (a simple firmware fix for all cameras -- to give an option for the playback brightness to be at the metered brightness), and, if shooting jpg, the tone curve has already been applied to the photo, so no help there.

In any case, whether or not you are going to make use of knowing what exposure is and what the ISO setting on the camera does, is another matter all together. But, as I said, these are technical forums, and, well...

For the E-M5, you are better off increasing ISO in camera than increasing in post, subject to a few conditions. See for example http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3352455 From what I've read, this would not be true for current Nikon DSLRs

Anders post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50480054

supports what I wrote above.

Knowing this seems more valuable for an E-M5 user than knowing whether "exposure" includes ISO.

What information one considers "valuable" is up to them to decide.  No one is under any obligation to read my posts, and most certainly not obliged to respond to them.

I like technical information, both for its own sake and to aid in taking pictures. Problems arise when technical info is used to play gotcha games.

Well, there was a time in history when people were jailed for saying the Earth went around the Sun, rather than the other way around, and it didn't matter a squat to 99.99% of the people.  Now, because of our understanding, we have TV, cell phones, GPS, weather reports, and anything else that depends on satellites, and 99.99% of the people still don't need to know why they work.

Did I mention this is a technical forum?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow