Three Quick Questions vs The Enjoyment of Photography

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
acahaya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008
Like?
Re: Three Quick Questions vs The Enjoyment of Photography
In reply to grumpyolderman, Jan 2, 2013

grumpyolderman wrote:

Ironically, Equivalence works against larger formats, as the noise advantage for larger sensor systems disappears for Equivalent photos.

GB, enlighten me here, same scene, same metering, FF show less noise (maybe not if the sensor is 7 years old) in real pictures, why is this then? Assuming same number of pixels per sensor, the larger pixels will get more light per pixel at same exposure settings, making it easier for the sensor to generate a final picture with less noise, I would say latest sensors compared FF still has about a 2 f-stop advantage in noise alone, and some in DR

You have to adjust the ISO on FF to make equivalence work thus loosing the advantage regarding noise and DR (provided that the sensors have the same efficiency).

The problem with the whole equivalence theory is that many people, especially non-native speakers like me often have problems to understand the difference between equal and equivalent (= is not the same as  ~). The second problem is related to the fact that people always think of exposure in terms of aperture and speed only and forget the ISO. The way GB explains the equivalence theory leads some people to believe that they have to increase the ISO on mFT for equivalent results. That is the reason i asked to add examples in the other thread.

All those misunderstandings cause a lot of confusion, don't ask me how often i've been told that my FT and mFT lenses are actually only half as fast as they claim to be and therefore much too expensive and if combined with the fact that FF has also an additional 2 stop advantage, you have to be a fool to use mFT at all

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow