Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Re: Three Quick Questions vs The Enjoyment of Photography
In reply to grumpyolderman, Jan 2, 2013

grumpyolderman wrote:

Oh Dear,

some people here are very short sighted and will not take facts in, if it looks at all that e.g. a full frame sensor has advantages over the m43, but it just has.

I guess the best approach is to stay calm and bring it down to facts, like you tried...

I have seen wrong statements about equivalence (usually without explanation what is actually meant by this...) loads of time in this forum, and some people might just assume they are correct, if they read them often enough.

To be fair, wrong statements come from both ends.  Some proponents of Equivalence say, for example, that "f/2 on mFT equals f/4 on FF" as opposed to saying "f/2 on mFT is equivalent to f/4 on FF".  This causes a great deal of confusion for many, which, not coincidentally, was the premise of the thread I linked to in my OP.

This seems less problematic in an "open forum" like the general talk (which are hence a lot more informative , but some people here will not allow anything to be said that might look like it is not an advantage of the m43 system, regardless of its contradiction of or lack of foundation in facts/physical principles. No need for this at all...

Ironically, Equivalence works against larger formats, as the noise advantage for larger sensor systems disappears for Equivalent photos.

M43 is a great system, fun to use and gives excellent results, but it does not mean it is the best for everybody and under all circumstances, it is a compromise like any other system, and some just have better ability to work in low light, but are also a lot bigger.

Indeed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow