E-P3 vs E-pm5, pro photog buying a gift

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Faction0
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Re: Certainly wouldn't get a "ridiculously large SD card."
In reply to Corkcampbell, Jan 2, 2013

It's a chance worth taking, you're talking to someone who shoots full time for a living and I can often fill two 64gb cards in a day, that part isn't something I'm concerned about. I can say in 2012 I didn't have a single card loss due to corruption or mistaken formatting, however I lost 1 CF and 2 SD cards to "pulling them out of the case after a couple months bouncing around in my bag" and "moist pocket" (rain or sweat). My fuji x100 ran a 64gb card just fine for a year and a half, during which time it never left the camera, and at one point I spent 3 weeks camping without laptop or any backup, I'm aware of the risks.

But a 22 year old is vastly more likely to loose/get wet/crush a bunch of small cards that I have no doubt will be eventually strewn about the car or sitting on the dashboard in the sun, or somewhere in the loose change cup, despite best intentions. Honestly when a casual user runs out of space on a hike I know the filled card will just go straight into his pocket if he has another card, if not he'll just stop shooting. I didn't say this above, but a key point I'm looking for is no case, no protection, he won't have any actual bag for the camera gear to keep cards. He's been told if he destroys this camera I'll get him another one, I've killed multiple 7D's the last 2 years as field cams, and am a big advocate of "take it everywhere, USE it till it's dead", I've always been able to recover cards from dead cams. Thanks for the input, but end of the day maximum utility, minimum care, is what I'm aiming for.

Faction0's gear list:Faction0's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow