Started Jan 2, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Faction0
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
E-P3 vs E-pm5, pro photog buying a gift
Jan 2, 2013

So to start, I've never owned olympus stuff, I've been a full time pro for 8 years now, working with Canon 1D and 5D series stuff most of the time, so I usually know my way around cameras, but this won't be for me. I have a much younger brother, whom is finishing university next month, and when he's done he'll be doing a big cross canada road-trip for two months. I've lived and worked all over the world, so knowing this is his first REAL chance to wander out on his own I'm getting him a good camera, as I wish I had a good cam when I first started traveling (my original Canon 1D was a damn beast and I usually didn't carry it, missing most of my travels, the only lenses I owned were the big L zooms).

He owned a Pentax k10 with 50mm 1.4 lens for awhile years ago, so he's sorta proficient with a camera, he gets the basics but really I think he'd rather something that often he can grab from the car and snap, I don't want to burden him with something he won't take with him. I also know he borrowed my Fuji x100 for awhile and loved how thin it was with that fixed 35mm (equiv), he just hated the slow AF and the controls were a little above him (fair enough). I would love to get him the e-p3 with 17mm prime, then just buy him a tele zoom for wildlife and such, I know he'd rather the "go to kit" be as small as possible. However knowing some people with the omd I hear endlessly how much better the sensor is than anything else, so the e-pl5 is tempting me (I'm reading it's the same sensor, correct me if necessary). I don't at all want to give him the kit lens, but from what I'm seeing online right now the body is only $30 cheaper without it, and I can buy the e-p3 with the 17mm for less.

So, which is the better camera in anyones educated opinion? I'd rather spend less on the e-p3 and use the money for the tele lens and a ridiculously large SD card (who wants to bring hard drives on a road-trip). But I also look back at images from my own first travels (the few I took) and wish the quality was better than the 1D I was using. The e-p3 is of course labelled as a more advanced camera, but with the e-pl5 being newer and having a better sensor I'm really not sure anymore (after all, Olympus isn't Canon, I have a hard time seeing them withholding the better AF, metering, and performance levels from the cheaper cameras like I'm used to)

Faction0's gear list:Faction0's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
ANSWER:
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow