SLT A37 - Auto ISO Behaviour

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,320Gear list
Like?
Re: SLT A37 - Auto ISO Behaviour
In reply to Terry1100, Jan 2, 2013

Terry1100 wrote:

Firstly, can you limit how high it goes in Auto - the manual seems to indicate that it will go all the way up to 3200 in Auto mode.

I am not sure if you can select max ISO, it's up to 3200 I believe.

Secondly, does it head rapidly up the sensitivity scale keeping away from slow shutter speeds or does it hang on to low ISOs as long as it can - supplementary question, can you set a minimum shutter speed in P ?

Unfortunately in auto ISO it does seem to raise ISO in a hurry, even the in-camera Steady Shot is very effective for slower shutter speed. Also, there is no minimum "safety" shutter speed you can set in auto ISO. No auto IDO in manual mode. The only workaround is, if your lens is sharp enough at maximum aperture, you can using shutter priority under auto ISO to influence ISO. Having said that, A37 can do worry-free ISO 1600, very useable 3200 if exposure is right, and not too much crop and sharpening in PP.

Any other "gotchas" on the A37 (the other camera on my shortlist is a Nikon D5100 - older but well specced and priced at the moment)

A37 has electronic viewfinder, which very different than traditional optical viewfinder. If you do lots of panning, tracking moving subject you will notice different behaviour, or even lag. You can work around this but need some efforts.

Overall A37 is a entry level, almost-compact DSLR/SLT camera that deliver great image quality.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow