How to focus multiple faces with 35mm 1.8G

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Questions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,358Gear list
Like?
Re: How to focus multiple faces with 35mm 1.8G
In reply to Sajay, Jan 2, 2013

Sajay wrote:

I'm relatively new to and trying to get my head around many concepts so please ignore if my question is stupid.

I wanted to take a family portrait but wasn't able to get all faces in focus. The one issue is that I do not have too much light the room and is an indoor setup.

What f-stop/ISO/focus etc would you recommend. Not sure how the D90 actually managed to pic the focus point. Any help or pointers to articles etc would be really appreciated.

To get everyone in focus, you need to close down the aperture. F/1.8 is pretty large and so not much depth will be in focus. But if it is dark, then the shutter speed might be too slow, leading to blur due to camera shake, or the ISO sensitivity might be too high, leading to a noisy, grainy final image. More light is definitely important for this, although if you put the camera on a tripod or a stable surface, and if everyone remains motionless during the exposure, you might be able to pull this off.

It is possible to calculate the needed aperture setting for this sort of thing. See this online calculator:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

This will give you a rough idea about what aperture setting you can use.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow