Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Corhof
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
OM-D vs. NEX-6
Jan 2, 2013

Me: A 31 year old photo enthusiast.  I jumped on board the MFT train back in 2009.  I owned a Lumix GF-1 (and briefly a GF-3) prior to this new camera.  I started looking for a new camera because I grew tired of relying on flash photography when taking indoor photos of my daughter because all the no-flash pics were blurry despite maximizing aperture on the 14-42 kit lens.  I know how to use all the PASM modes and understand the basics of exposure and composition.  Basically, I read Understanding Exposure and spent a few years playing around with settings until I was comfortable.  I'm by no means a photography fanatic or professional.  I'm just a family guy who likes to get good pics of my family and nature.

Like I mentioned above, my wife just wants a camera that works.  One she can pick up and snap good pics without much technical knowledge or tinkering with the settings.  I think both cameras work well in this regard.  I'm confident that either one will suffice although based on available settings and customization, I do think the OM-D is catered more towards enthusiasts and the NEX-6 more towards the average consumer.  I know she will complain about the OM-D flash and the minor inconvenience of attaching it when you need a flash, but it's well worth the inconvenience in my opinion.  

I posted some of the pics I took this weekend with the OM-D.  Be gentle, I'm just an enthusiast.  I think they look pretty damn good though!  IMPORTANT NOTE: None of these pics have been auto-enhanced, edited or cropped. They are straight from the camera.  All of them were using the 25mm f1.4 Panasonic Leica Summalix lens.   No fill flash or other lighting was used.
      APS-C vs MFT sensor - This was a huge concern of mine and a major reason for initially going with the Sony.  I have to say that I haven't noticed any difference in low light, ISO noise, etc.  In fact, the OMD seems to be better.     Digital zoom - you can program the function button to do a quick 2x digital zoom.  I love this feature!  It allows a convenient zoom feature when using prime lenses.  It is a digital zoom so you will lose resolution, but I haven't noticed a huge change.  Check out the pic of my dog's nose below as it was taken at 2x zoom.     Image stabilization - Since it's in the body, you don't have to worry about the lens IS.  It's a really good 5-axis in body stabilizer, just read the reviews online.    Kit lens - This kit lens seems to be nicer than most kit lenses.  I did a few videos with it and the electronic zoom is quite and smooth.    Touchscreen - A huge convenience.  I love being able to touch to focus and snap a pic in a split second.     Flash - It is a hotshoe mounted flash which is compact but definitely adds bulk to the camera.  Like I said above, I'll miss the pop up flash in the NEX and the ability to bounce the pop up flash.  With the results I've had thus far, I don't think I'll be needing it very often.     Video - I did video with the kit lens as well as the 25mm lens and I think that that the video on the Sony was a little better.  My first video had a few wobbly frames which according to my research was due to a rolling shutter effect?  Anyway, once I put the camera in movie mode (instead of just pushing the record button while in Ap), the effect seemed to go away.       ISO - I know this seems weird, but the ISO performance seems to be better on the OM-D despite the smaller sensor.  ISO limits are easily set as well.    User interface - It's a little more technical than the Sony and you have to download the full manual for explanation of all the options.  Even with the full manual, you'll be left confused more than a few times.  The dpreview hands on is quite helpful.  I'm still making my way through the pages to find all the features available.  Suffice it to say that this thing is endlessly customizable.   Autofocus:  Just like all the reviews say, it's very fast.  The autofocus tracking feature isn't all that reliable, but it actually works pretty good keeping track of my toddler.  From what I've read, you need an SLR for good tracking performance.   I bought the Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4 to use with this camera.  Keep in mind that all the criticisms of the NEX mentioned above were formulated after I got my hands on the OM-D.  When I just had the NEX, I wasn't quite satisfied but I didn't really know why. After reading the amazon review linked above and then using the OM-D, I began to realize why the NEX-6 left wanting more.  OM-D:           Phase detect autofocus - This is one of the most heavily touted features of this camera. The problem is it only works with the kit lens right now.  That being said, I really didn't notice a huge improvement even with the kit lens.      Image stabilization - No in body IS and only a few lenses have it.       Kit lens - It's compact.  I only took a few shots with it.  Performance wasn't great.  About what you'd expect from a kit lens.     Wireless integration - A total publicity stunt.  Very slow to connect, not useful.  Apps are lame.      Touchscreen - The lack of touchscreen is a huge minus in my book.  Once you get used to touching the object you want to focus on with a touchscreen camera, it's tough to go back.     Flash -  Only used a few times, but generally resulted in very harsh photos.  I did have great luck pulling the flash back with my finger to bounce it.  I'm going to miss that capability. . .     Video:  Great video, no complaints. summed up my frustration pretty well.This review on amazon     User interface: Relatively easy to use.  There is limited customization in buttons and settings.  My biggest disappointment in this area is the inability to set auto-ISO limits.  I often shot in aperture priority mode and the NEX would frequently crank up the ISO as high as 3200 before slowing the shutter speed resulting in grainy images.     Autofocus:  The autofocus was hunting frequently.  It could usually lock on to a person in the center of the frame, but when I was trying to take a picture of our Christmas tree from 12 feet away, it would just hunt and hunt for a focus.  It also couldn't keep up with my daughter resulting in many missed photos.I bought the Sony 16mm f2.8 to use for indoor photos.  After getting the camera home and shooting several hundred shots, I was a bit disappointed.  NEX-6:
After all my research, I narrowed it down to the NEX-6 and the OM-D.  Despite all the hype with the OM-D, I went with the NEX-6 because of smaller size, larger sensor, pop up flash and wireless integration.  
Has a flash when you need itFast focus to capture the kidsEase of use (my wife just wants a camera that she can point and shoot)Takes quality indoor/low light photos without a flashCompactMirrorlessMy criteria:  

I used an art filter on this one. . .

This is taken with 2x digital zoom

I

One more thing. . .the EVF does seem better on the Sony.  I've never owned an SLR or DSLR and don't care about the EVF so this feature doesn't really matter to me.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow