Started Jan 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,559Gear list
Like?
Gunned hawk crying
Jan 2, 2013

I've mentionned a few times here that my mother runs the islands only bird rescue center, which of course is privately funded. Unfortunately, many birds in Greece are shot by hunters. This includes hawks, eagles, falcons, owls, egrets, herons, cormorans, even flamingos. It is a tragedy, and the authorities are unable/unwilling to do anything about it. We recieve about 20 birds per year, some recover completely are are released in remote locations, some don't survive, and some stay with us in large cages where we can take care of them. They eat chicken, mostly. They become quite tame and recognize people. They make quite a fuss when they see my mother as they'e associated her with dinner.

Here are some pictures i took today. I was in the cage, obviously. A studio flash with umbrella was outside, and an off-camera sigma EF-610 was in slave mode for fill-in in some pictures. I mostly used the A* 200mm f/4 macro, which really showed it was in a class of its own, above the 77 limited, and well above the Sigma 70-200, pentacon 135 bokeh-monster and sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO.

I've uploaded these pictures in full resolution. If anybody wants to use them in an effort to protect wildlife, you're most welcome to. Just let me know.

Looks like he's crying...

Our new guest. Yes that's blood. The vet is on his way. He looks like he's crying.... He was shot on his left side, and eye. He has a good chance of recovering completely.

A broken wing means that this bird will never fly again.

He can't fly well enough to hunt. We tried to set him free, twice. Only to find him famished a few days later. The second time, he saw my mom and went to her by himself. He's quite tame now, so he had his dinner while i was just a few feet away from him with the K5 & 77 & elinchrom flash.

Kind regards, and happy new year to all!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow