Is the original 5D still worth picking up at the right price?

Started Jan 1, 2013 | Questions thread
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,090Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the original 5D still worth picking up at the right price?
In reply to happysnapper64, Jan 2, 2013

First of all, I'll preface this response by saying I own a 5D, but I do not own a 7D or other 18mp APS-C body.

That said, for the types of photography you mentioned I don't think a 5D will add much to your photography unless you want the following:

1. Ability to use FF optics at their true focal lengths.

2. Comparatively shallow depth of field ability with wide angle lenses.

Beyond those two reasons, I don't think a 5D will offer you any advantages over your 7D, at least in regards to final image quality.  The 7D will give you as much or more resolution (with good lenses), comparable dynamic range and noise at low ISO.  Plus the 7D gives you useful features like live view and a great screen, both valuable tools in the field.

I still feel the 5D is a terrific camera and I shoot mine all the time while also having a 5D2.  The image quality it produces is outstanding.  If you want the other benefits of FF I'd say it's a great bargain at current used prices.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow